Scoliosis treatment depends on the curve severity and chances that the curve can get worse. Some types of scoliosis can get worse, so according to its type, the right treatment course can be determined. Treatment is divided into 3 main categories:
How different types of Scoliosis are treated?
- Functional scoliosis is due to abnormalities in a different part of the body. This type of scoliosis is for treating abnormalities like leg length difference. With this approach, the leg length is even out and stops the spine from curving.
- Neuromuscular scoliosis occurs due to spine bones developing abnormally. In this type, the problem can get worse and bracing & observation are not the best choices. In this case, the surgery is needed which helps the curve from getting worse.
- Idiopathic scoliosis treatment is based on age and when it develops. In some cases, the problem can get better on its own.
- Juvenile idiopathic scoliosis needs bracing if the curve is not very severe. The main aim of the treatment is to prevent the curve from getting worse. In many cases, there are higher chances that the curve will get worse so aggressive treatment is needed.
Braces used for the Scoliosis are of different types. In some cases, they need to be worn for 24 hours and the patient can only remove them when they shower. Additionally, the patient needs to follow the doctor’s instructions to get the best results.
Braces are used to stop or slow down the curve.
Surgery is needed to stabilize and correct the curve which restores the curve and spinal column appearance. Undergoing the surgery also helps to reduce pain.
After the surgery, the patient needs to work with a physical therapist to improve the walking. This also helps to improve muscle strength.
Symptoms can be different according to the degree of scoliosis. Some of the common symptoms included with scoliosis are:
- The one-shoulder blade is higher than the other.
- The one-shoulder blade is slightly more out.
- Hips are not even
- A rotating spine
- Back pain
- Breathing problem because the lungs are not able to expand properly in the chest area.
Scoliosis causes are not always determined. Some of the common causes which can be identified are:
- Muscular Dystrophy is a genetic disorder that leads to muscle weakness.
- Infants have birth defects like spina bifida.
- Infection or spinal injury.
- Cerebral Palsy is a nervous system problem and it affects a person learning, seeing, thinking movement, and hearing ability.
In case, someone in your family faced this problem then there are high chances that you will have this issue. Additionally, girls develop this problem more severe as compared to boys.
The doctor will first do the physical examination. Additionally, some imaging tests will be done to have a better look at the spine.
You need to stand straight with arms on your sides and the doctor will examine the back. The doctor will check the spine curvature and determine whether the waist area and shoulders are symmetrical. After that, you need to bend forward to look for any curvature in the lower and upper back.
Some of the imaging tests are:
In this test, radiation is used in small amounts to create a spine picture.
- MRI scan
Magnetic waves and radio waves are used to get a better picture of the bones as well as surrounding tissues.
- CT scan
With this test, different angles of the body are taken which give the 3D view.
- Bone scan
This test helps to know about the spinal abnormalities. For the test, the radioactive solution is injected into the blood where the blood circulation is very high.