What all you need to know about the problem of Diabetes and spine surgery?
If you have diabetes and you need to get spine surgery, you need to pay special attention to successful surgery and recovery. People with diabetes are at higher risk of certain problems like slower healing and infection. Fortunately, you need to take before and after undergoing spine surgery in Ludhiana to reduce the possible complications.
Diabetes and Spine Surgery: Why an Increased Risk of Complications?
Hormone fluctuations can make the body produce less insulin and it leads to additional changes in the body which increases the risk of hyperglycemia or increases blood sugar level.
If you have diabetes, the risk of complications after surgery is greater if you have had diabetes for a long time, if you have trouble controlling your levels or frequently have high blood sugar levels.
Medication Considerations for People with Diabetes
You need to talk with your medical healthcare expert who can suggest a tip to control diabetes. In some cases, some changes are needed in diabetic medications.
- It is essential to consult a certified doctor and tell him about your condition in detail. If you take type 2 diabetes medications to control blood sugar, ask your doctor about adjustments you should make to your regular dosage.
- If you have type 1 diabetes and take insulin make sure to consult the doctor regarding the dose you need to take the night before and on the surgery day.
Questions to Ask Before Your Spine Procedure
- Who is going to manage my diabetes during the surgery or hospital stay?
- What do I need to do if my blood pressure is high or low during the surgery day?
- When do I need to take my last meal or fluid before undergoing the surgery?
What are the important lifestyle changes I need to consider?
If you exercise, then you need to talk with your doctor before undergoing surgery. Exercise is going to make your body strong and recovery will also be faster.
- Follow a balanced diet
Having a nutritious meal with plenty of protein is going to make the healing faster and the surgical site will have stronger tissues. Make sure that you do not skip the meal because your body needs the protein and calories to heal on time.
- Alcohol and smoking
Before the surgery, you need to quit smoking and reduce alcohol consumption to control the sugar level. Quitting and smoking is going to make it easier to breathe following the surgery.
- Control stress level
Stress can increase the blood glucose level, so make sure that you feel relaxed while you are planning to get the surgery. You should listen to music or do exercise daily.