Everything about Lumbar Spine CT Scan & MRI Scan Purpose, Procedure & After-care
Lumbar Spine CT Scan & MRI Scan in Ludhiana, Punjab
What Is A Lumbar Spine CT Scan?
Lumbar Spine CT Scan & MRI Scan in Ludhiana, Punjab: A CT scan is mainly referred to as a CT scan which is a type of X-ray that produces cross-sectional images for the specific body part. In the case of a lumbar spine CT scan, the doctor can see the cross-section of the lower back. The scanning machine goes in a circular motion through the body and sends images to the computer monitor where it is reviewed by the technician. The back problem occurs in the lumbar portion. The lumbar is the lowest part of the spine which includes 5 vertebral bones.
If you are experiencing a problem then you need to consult the spine doctor. In some cases, the patient can suggest you undergo spine surgery in Ludhiana.
Why Is A Lumbar Spine CT Scan Performed?
CT scan is one of the imaging tests which the doctor will use to check the issue with the spine. This includes checking the pain due to disease, infection, or injuries. Some of the additional reasons, the doctor might do a lumbar CT scan includes:
- Back pain accompanied by fever
- Birth defects affecting the spine
- Multiple sclerosis
- A herniated disk
- Injury to the lower spine
- Low back pain
- A pinched nerve
- Problems controlling the bladder
- Signs of cancer
- Spinal surgery preparation
- Weakness, numbness, or other problems with your legs
How do I prepare for a lumbar spine CT scan?
During the procedure, you need to wear loose and comfortable clothes and you need to lay down on the table. You need to remove the jewelry and additional metallic items from the body. In case you have any metal implants then inform the doctor before the procedure. Make sure to inform the doctor if you are pregnant, diabetic, and allergic to oral contrast.
What is the procedure of the Lumbar Spine CT scan?
- CT scans are performed in the radiology department or a diagnostic procedure is done. You need to lie on the back while the test is being done. When you lay in the correct position for a long time it is going to give the doctor the quality image. When the individual scans are performed then you need to hold your breath.
- Depending on the reason for the scan, you will be given IV so that contrast dye enters the vein. The dye is used so that clear images can be taken of your organs and blood vessels. It takes around 30 to 45 minutes for the doctor to complete the entire CT scan.
What happens after a lumbar spine CT scan?
After the test, you can wear your everyday clothes. You will get to know about the results in one day. Your doctor will schedule the follow-up appointment and let you know how to proceed further. In some cases, additional tests like blood tests, imaging scans, or other diagnostic measures are needed. By doing so, will help you get an accurate diagnosis and start the treatment.