Everything you need to know about spinal fusion surgery from uses to its procedure
What is Spinal Fusion?
Spinal fusion is the surgical procedure in which 2 or more vertebrae are joined together into one solid bone and there is no space between them. Vertebrae are the small, interlocking bones of the spine. In spinal fusion, the extra bone is used to fill the space which is there between 2 separate vertebrae. As the bone gets healed, there is no space left between them. Spinal fusion is referred by other names which includes:
- Vertebral interbody fusion
- Anterior spinal fusion
- Posterior spinal fusion
If you are facing any spine related issue then consult the best doctor for Spine Surgery In Ludhiana and get the detailed treatment plan.
What is the spinal fusion used for?
Spinal fusion is used to treat and get relief from the symptoms of spinal issues. The procedure helps in removing the mobility between the 2 treated vertebrae. This problem can decrease flexibility but it can also treat spinal disorders which can make the movement painful. The disorders include:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal stenosis
- Herniated discs
- Fractured vertebrae that may be making your spinal column unstable
- Kyphosis (abnormal rounding of the upper spine)
- Scoliosis (curvature of the spine)
- Spinal weakness or instability due to tumors, severe arthritis, or infections
- Spondylolisthesis (a condition in which one vertebra slips onto the vertebra below it and result in pain)
If the procedure is performed alone then it can include discectomy. If the procedure is performed along, then there is disc damage or disease. The bone grafts are placed where the disc is removed and this helps in maintaining the height between bones. On either side, the doctor will use the vertebrae which helps in forming a bridge across the bone graft and this results in increased stability.
How to prepare for spinal fusion?
Well, the preparation of spinal fusion is the same like other surgical procedures. There is a need to get the preoperative laboratory testing. Before the surgeon do the spinal fusion, you need to tell him the following things:
- If you do smoking, which may affect the healing from spinal fusion
- Alcohol use
- Any illnesses you have, including colds, the flu, or herpes
- Any prescription or over-the-counter medications you are taking which include herbs and supplements
These include warfarin, blood thinners, and NSAIDs (ibuprofen, and aspirin). The patient is going to give you general anesthesia so you should not eat anything for at least 8 hours before the surgery. If your doctor has recommended any medication then take it only with a sip.
Recovery from spinal fusion
After the surgery, you need to stay in the hospital for recovery and the doctor will observe your condition. You might need to stay for 3 to 4 days. You can eat a solid diet a few days after the treatment. Full recovery will take 3 to 6 months. According to your condition the doctor will tell you when you can get back to a normal working routine.